"For I was hungry & you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty & you gave me something to drink..."

Matthew 25:35

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Basil Infused Mashed Potatoes

lately my constant snacking & cleaning of my children's plates is catching up with me. we had a rash of hot weather a few weeks back & when i pulled on the short i wore last summer...they were a bit tight. totally whack. do people still say whack?

anyway- so i decided it was time to start watching what i eat ::sob::
i started this past monday & after entering all of my info into SparkPeople.com i was informed that my goal is 1200-1500 calories per day. plus they want me to workout or some crap like that.
dear God. seriously?! i mean, 2 cookies is like 300 calories alone. & a brownie is like 500. & a plate of pasta smothered in cheese was bordering on 900 alone.
insanity. but a flashback of me wiggling into my too tight shorts made me realize that, sadly, i have no choice.

so for me, i want you to make these mashed potatoes & enjoy them. because i can't. well, i can, just not as much as i used to. bummer.


Basil Infused Mashed Potatoes
You Need:
4 large russet potatoes
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
6 tblsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup basil leaves
salt & pepper to taste

Directions: Pour your whipping cream into a microwave safe bowl & add the basil leaves. Pop it into the oven for about 3 minutes. Stop & stir after each minute.
After 3 minutes your cream should be nice & hot. Give it a final stir & let it sit while you boil your potatoes.

Peel & chop & boil your potatoes. Drain.

Go back to your cream of remove & discard the basil leaves.

Using the same pot that you boiled the potatoes in, melt your butter (on low heat) & add your cream. Toss in some salt (i use about 1 1/2 tsp of kosher salt) & pepper & turn off the heat.

Start ricing your potatoes into the cream & butter mixture.

NOTE: I always use a ricer for my mashed potatoes. They so creamy & smooth & lumpless that way. But you don't have to- if you don't have a ricer you can simply melt your butter, stor in your cream & then pour it into the bowl of your stand or hand mixer (whichever you use) & whip as usual

Once you've riced in all of your potatoes, stir everything together until combined.

Dish out as is or go ahead & add more butter or salt & pepper or cheese or whatever it is you add to mashed potatoes.
I did allow myself to lick the spoon & insert an addtl mouthful..or two because hello, i have to taste test for you guys.
These were awesome. Full of basil flavor but not too much- perfect.

I also went ahead & figured out the Calories & such for these bad boys:

Servings: 6
Per Serving
- Calories: 407
- Carbs: 40
-Fat: 25
-Protein: 4

so if the amount you make is split between 6 people (which i figured was pretty reasonable considering that you normally eat mashed potatoes as a side) it's actually not terrible calorie wise. not good, but not terrible.
Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails